Monday, May 4, 2015

Recently I was cleaning out my Garage and going through some of my hunting gear. I have to admit, most of that gear I've had for years. It's reliable (for the most part) and I know it like the back of my hand.

7 Tips For A Successful Deer Hunt

I was in for a few surprises though. I have an old set of Ranging 5x32 binoculars that is starting to get foggy. Time for a new set. One of my favorite hats has a hole in the top. I have no idea how it happened, I'm going to blame it on the Wife.

There were a few other surprises, which led me to do a thorough shakedown of my equipment and make a list of the stuff that needed replacing.

Here are 7 Tips that will help you have a successful hunting trip this year.

  1. Replace you old maps. Things change. Opening morning is not the time to find out the Forest Service has put a road in 50 yards from your deer stand (I'm guilty of that one)
  2. Take the time to site rifle in. Yep, I'm guilty of that one also. Last year, I was too busy to make it to the range before season. I left out the day before the opener in Oklahoma and arrived about 10 p.m. I passed a buck up on opening morning and decided I'd "just check" the zero of my rifle. I was shocked to find it was almost 6 inches low. I'm blaming that on my Wife also, I'm sure she did something to it.
  3. Check you binoculars and scopes. Make sure they're bright and clear and that the adjustment knob is free and works easy.
  4. If you're hunting out of state, get your license and tags as early as you can. Don't show up opening morning and find that the little grocery store on the corner doesn't carry hunting license and tags any longer. Most states are set up to where you can buy license online now. Get them early.
  5. While you're online, grab the new hunting regulations for the area you plan on hunting. A couple years ago I planned an out of state hunting trip and downloaded the regulations about two days before I left. The state had changed the regulations for the area I was going to hunt that year and I learned two days before I was to leave that I should have put in for a special draw. Needless to say, I was scrambling to find a new area in a distant state two days before the opener.
  6. Don't rely on friends to bring the necessities. It's always good to have extra food and necessities at the deer camp. I can't tell you how many stories I hear about ruined deer hunts because someone in the party didn't bring what they were suppose to. I try and bring all that I will need, including food and drink, and if we have extra, all the better!
  7. If you're on medication, make sure you take enough to last you until you get back home. Don't rely on finding a pharmacy that will refill your prescription. Some may, some may not. You may have a hard time getting a prescription filled out of state. Best to have extra and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I know these are simple rules, but it's the simple things that we forget most and the simple things that can ruin a trip!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Design by Sports Mans Guide